Employment Opportunity: Associate Vice President of Marketing & Public Relations
Description of Position
Northwest Nazarene University seeks a dynamic, experienced and successful marketer and communicator to serve as Associate Vice President of Marketing and Public Relations (AVPM). This senior administrator will have a key role in leading the institution forward in mission and vision fulfillment. As the university's chief message officer the AVPM will work with the University President, the President's Cabinet, University Administrative Team and institutional offices and individuals responsible for the marketing of NNU.
The AVPM will guide the various sectors of the institution directly responsible for message, as well as work with all appropriate campus entities regarding media-related matters. The AVPM will be able to cast vision, set strategic goals, and implement plans for marketing for traditional, graduate and adult programs, in multiple disciplines and delivery modes within the context of a collegial, collaborative campus ethos. The AVPM will have a passion for the university's mission and the competitive drive to expand the reach of the university.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the Essential Functions.
The role of the Associate Vice President of Marketing and Public Relations is varied in its scope, calling for an experienced, able administrator and creative entrepreneur and implementer. The AVPM will report directly to the Vice President of External Relations (VPER) and have direct oversight of the Office of Marketing & Media Relations. The opportunities and responsibilities for the AVPM include:
- Establish a comprehensive institutional marketing and public relations plan utilizing all forms of media;
- Primary oversight of all matters pertaining to marketing and media relations of the university;
- Work with the VPER to lead the Office of Marketing & Media Relations responsible for the message, look and branding of NNU;
- Assure that all appropriate campus programs and entities are involved in preparing annual institutional and program-specific marketing plans, providing expertise in planning and timely creation of professionally produced product to establish and strengthen the NNU brand; internal clients served by the Office of Marketing & Media Relations include:
- Office of Academic Affairs (all programs)
- Traditional Admissions
- Office of University Advancement
- Office of Alumni
- Graduate Admissions (all programs)
- Continuing Education
- Athletic Department
- Wesley Center for Servant Leadership
- Office of the President
- Other areas as needed
- Work with the Office of Academic Affairs when new or re-visioned programs are being considered to provide message and product and train and equip personnel for program launch;
- Work with the Office of Academic Affairs as new delivery modes and regional sites are considered and launched;
- Work to foster a client-focused, customer-friendly ethos across the campus in all matters related to marketing and public relations;
- Serve in partnership with the Office of Academic Affairs as institutional liaison for third party marketing/recruitment relationships;
- In coordination with the VPER maintain a personal portfolio of marketing and public relation contacts;
- Serve as a member of the University Administrative Team and the External Relations Leadership team.
The Associate Vice President of Marketing and Public Relations will bring a wealth of personal and professional experience and ability to the position. The ideal candidate would possess the following professional and personal qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to work with a variety of internal and external constituencies: faculty, administration, trustees, alumni, donors, church, community, accreditors;
- Committed Christian, history of being a committed church member;
- A passion for the role of Christian higher education in the church and society;
- Understanding of marketing and brand strategies within higher education;
- Commitment to shape and guide the development of a mission appropriate, pervasively Christian, intellectually prepared, appropriately diverse marketing and branding strategy;
- Awareness of and interest in being an informed, global educator and Christian;
- Foresight and understanding in higher education issues, best practices and future trends in marketing;
- Ability to coordinate and lead the work of multiple campus offices and personnel to achieve the university's marketing goals;
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills to aid the VPER in interacting with both internal and external constituencies;
- Personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness;
- Example of servant leadership;
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Vital, energetic, collegial leader, able to nurture the morale of staff;
- An able communicator, listener and collaborative change agent;
- Willing and able to make difficult decisions in a timely matter;
- The university requires that all candidates have a Christian perspective (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU;
- Ability to perform all Essential Functions of this position;
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
- Experience with PC software, especially Microsoft Office applications, and the ability to learn new software;
- Willingness and ability to travel for work;
- Ability to view a computer screen for extended periods of time;
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, annual leave, sick leave, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email a complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Jun 19, 2017
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).