Employment Opportunity: Faculty Member in Counselor Education
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 85-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers programs online as well as in Boise, Idaho Falls, McCall, Twin Falls and in cooperation with programs in 10 countries. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, more than 6,000 continuing education students, and 2,300 high school students through the concurrent credit program. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the west. The university’s location in the southwest part of the state allows easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting. The proximity to Boise, the state’s capital, offers cultural amenities such as the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra, Boise Master Chorale, Opera Idaho, Ballet Idaho, Riverside Jazz Orchestra, and the Boise Art Museum. The university is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene.
The Department of Counselor Education at NNU offers a master’s degree in counseling and aims to prepare students with the professional competencies necessary for entry level counseling and therapeutic direct service delivery as well as providing a base for those students who wish to pursue a doctoral level study. In existence since 1990, the Counselor Education Department offers the following on campus majors: Marriage and Family Counseling, School Counseling and Clinical Counseling.
Description of Position
The Northwest Nazarene University Department of Counselor Education is seeking applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant of Associate Professor position to begin fall semester 2016. Northwest Nazarene University embraces diversity and therefore encourages all who are qualified to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Teaching core and track specific courses (evenings and some Saturdays)
- Student advising and clinical supervision
- Contributing to program and curriculum development and continued growth of the program
- Participation in the department’s ongoing assessment plan
- Ongoing scholarly research and professional development
- Engaging in service to the university and community
- Active involvement in professional organizations and service to the profession
- An earned doctorate from a CACREP accredited program or have been employed as a full-time faculty member in CACREP accredited program for a minimum of one full academic year before July 1, 2013. ABD will be considered with anticipated completion within one year of employment.
- Strong foundational knowledge of counselor education and the counseling profession
- Counseling or related field license or licensure eligible in the state of Idaho
- A highly collaborative approach to working with students and faculty
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Evidence of scholarly work and research in counseling or counselor education
- Demonstrated commitment to educational and cultural needs of diverse populations
- Experience with, or commitment to, rural counseling practice
- Identify with the counseling profession through membership in professional organizations
- The University requires that all candidates have a Christian perspective (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in teaching one or more of the following areas: Career Counseling, Research and Statistics, Measurement & Assessment, Group Counseling, Addictions Counseling, Multicultural Counseling
- Experience or interest in teaching blended and/or online courses
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time faculty will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, sabbatical experiences, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- Application form
- Curriculum vita
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Statement describing your philosophy of Christian higher education
- Statement describing your philosophy of teaching
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Apr 12, 2016
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).