Employment Opportunity: Student Account Specialist
Description of Position
The Business Office is seeking applicants for a year-round, non-exempt, full-time position as a Student Account Specialist. The Student Account Specialist performs student account tasks directly related to student enrollments. Duties relate to account billing and collection for students, database information systems, policies and procedures, cashier processes, and disbursements of credit balances. The Student Account Specialist reports directly to the Student Accounts Supervisor. Northwest Nazarene University embraces diversity and therefore encourages all who are qualified to apply.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide customer service; communicate with care and sensitivity to students and parents regarding student account concerns and needs
- Analyze and evaluate student accounts as necessary to determine balance due, payments received, student financial aid status and excess credit available
- Coordinate billing and bill payment procedures at the start of and during each academic session
- Review and manage payment plans, student refunds, monthly statements, and student withdrawal processes
- Prepare journal entries for adjustments to student accounts, including prorating tuition charges, late fees, fines, etc.
- Post federal and institutional aid, report compliance issues to the Office of Financial Aid
- Manage and monitor student account information associated with balances: holds, third party payer information, tuition remission, pending financial aid, approval of transcript release, etc.
- Responsible to keep apprised and current with federal regulations regarding awarding and disbursing of financial aid, yearly reporting of tuition and scholarships on the federal 1098-T tax form, Title IV notification requirements and FERPA requirements
- Receive student and internal University payments in support of the Cashier, prepare cashier journals and banking deposits.
- Coordinate and supervise logistical preparations and participate in annual new student orientation and pre-registration events
- Provide support to the Student Accounts Supervisor as needed
- Sufficient skills, knowledge and training to take full ownership of and responsibility for all essential functions of this position
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with, in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU. Candidates are asked to respond to the information items listed on the NNU Christian Mission requirements link below
- High motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines, work without direct supervision, be able to multi-task, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Strong organization skills and detail oriented, with the ability to work quickly in an open environment
- Excellent customer service skills with strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work with others and foster teamwork
- Ability to maintain confidential information and files
- Fundamental knowledge of accounting
- Experience in the operation of various electronic office equipment (calculator, computer, fax, printer, copier, telephone)
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel and an understanding of database structure and ability to learn computer programs and/or various report tools and applications as needed
- This position requires a high level of decision making and problem solving ability
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Some experience in a related field preferred
- Collection experience preferred
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission requirement
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID, 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Jul 25, 2016
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).