Flexible Spending Benefits

(Administered by Flores & Associates)

In agreement with the IRS tax code, you may withhold a designated amount from your paycheck each month to help pay for medical care and dependent care. This amount withheld from taxes is deposited with our plan administrator, Flores & Associates.

As your expenses are incurred, you can use your Flores Debit card to pay for some of these expenses, or you may pay directly then submit a form and receipts for reimbursement. Your Flores Debit card will be mailed to your home address. Additional information on the Flores Debit card please click here.

When setting up up your online access at please use Group ID #31989

Flores & Associates Contact Info

Customer Service: 1-800-532-3327

You will need to keep in mind these few pieces of information as you consider enrollment:

  • Enrollment in this program is only possible during open enrollment, which usually occurs between the months of April and July each year.
  • Enrollment becomes effective on August 1 of each year for continuing employees. It becomes effective immediately for new employees hired outside of the open enrollment period.
  • If you elect to participate in any of the aspects of Flexible Spending during an open enrollment period, you may not remove enrollment unless you experience a "qualifying event".

Flexible Spending benefits offer employees the opportunity to set aside non-taxed salary dollars in two different ways to save money, as outlined below.

Health Benefits

You may have your insurance deductible, co-payment and other qualifying out-of-pocket (such as orthodontia, prescription glasses and contacts) medical expenses reimbursed through Flexible Spending. To do this, calculate your expenses at the beginning of the enrollment period and enroll.

Health Savings Account (HSA)

You will have a Health Savings Account (HSA) if you elect to participate in the High Dedcutible Health Plan. The HSA will have contributions from NNU and you may contribute additional money to your HSA up to the federally allowed limits on an annual basis. The NNU contributions are made twice a year in August and February. The HSA is administed by Flores and Associates. Please reference the HSA Welcome Kit, HSA FAQ, and the HSA Consumer Verification Process FAQ for additional information. NNU Health Savings Accounts allows for those participating to make investment choices for their HSA funds. For information on setting up investments and tips on how to best maximize your HSA value please reference this HSA Investment flyer. You may also contact Flores & Associates for assistance with this benefit.


Unreimbursed Medical Expenses

  • You can elect to have money deducted from your payroll check on a pre-tax basis to self-reimburse medical, dental, and vision expenses that you incur (out of pocket costs) during the academic year. Expenses can be for yourself or for dependents in your household.
  • For specific questions as to what allowable charges are included, contact Flores & Associates.
  • Calculate the total deduction amount carefully. If you do not incur at least the amount you set aside, the amount in excess of $500 not incurred is then forfeited.
  • If you leave NNU, you will need to request a refund of monies originally designated for Flexible Spending if not spent by you for medical expenses during your employment. Money not spent and not requested for reimbursement will be forfeited.
  • All claims for reimbursement are made through Flores & Associates.
Additional information on this benefit may be found in the Medical FSA Guide and the Guide to Allowable Medical Expenses. Please reference the Over the Counter Expenses Guide to see if an expense may be paid for using FSA dollars.

Dependent Care Expenses

You can elect to set aside salary dollars on a pre-tax basis for the payment of dependent care expenses. Dependents may be children under the age of 13 who are cared for by another while both parents work. Dependents may also be individuals living in your home for whom you are responsible and for whom you incur care expenses as a result of you and your spouse working (i.e. an elderly parent for whom you hire a caretaker).

Additional information on this benefit may be found in the Dependent Care FSA Guide and the Guide to Allowable Dependent Care Expenses.

Additional Information:

To access some additional information on allowable expenses please visit . If you have a specific question regarding your flexible spending account, please contact Flores & Associates directly.