Employment Opportunity: Admissions Counselor
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Description of Position
The Admissions Counselor represents the university for the purpose of promoting student interest in enrollment. The Admissions Counselor is a member of the Enrollment Services team and has responsibility for recruitment activities in identified recruitment constituencies. This position will be a part of a recruitment team that works to develop a diverse student recruitment strategy to build an enrollment pipeline of academically talented and diverse students for NNU. The Admissions Counselor position is under the direct supervision of the Director of Outreach and Recruitment. This is a full-time, salary-exempt position.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strategic planning of recruitment process and goal-setting processes
- Participate in education activities and belong to professional organizations to facilitate the promotion of NNU
- Plan, implement, and conduct sales and recruiting activities to target the counselor's identified constituencies
- Travel may include out of state sales and recruitment activities at churches and schools, participating in summer camps, youth group activities, college fairs, and other sales and recruitment events
- Develop and deliver sales presentations to promote NNU and her programs
- Research and maintain up-to-date information on competing schools to facilitate persuasive and successful sales conversations in the promotion of NNU and her programs
- Counsel prospective students on college choices as well as admissions and financial aid procedures
- Initiate, develop, and maintain professional relationships with prospective students and their parents
- Initiate, develop, and maintain professional relationships with pastors, youth leaders, NYI leaders, high school counselors, and other school influencers
- Manage and maintain assertive phone and email contact with potential and future NNU students
- Fulfill other duties as developed within the Office of Enrollment and Marketing, which may include: liaison activities with various collegiate units on campus and coordination of special recruitment efforts
- Coordinate the recruitment of an assigned segment of prospective student population. The designation of this segment depends upon qualifications and present needs
- Other duties as assigned based upon the special qualifications of the individual
- Bachelor's degree
- All candidates must have a Christian perspective (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU and be willing to help advance the spiritual goals of the University.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and enthusiastically with students, parents, pastors, and other constituencies
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms
- Must be willing to travel (% of time depends upon recruitment assignment) and extended work hours are required
- Must be comfortable with contacting prospects via the telephone
- The candidate must demonstrate high motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, use deductive reasoning, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines in a deadline-oriented environment, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances
- Computer skills, including word processing, email and internet applications
- Ability to represent the values and spirit of a private Christian liberal arts university to all of its constituencies
- Ability to maintain confidential information and files
- Ability to work well within a team and promote cooperation
- Ability to perform all Essential Function of this position
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds
- Ability to view a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Ability to work while sitting, standing and/or walking for extended periods of time
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Current knowledge of NNU
- Experience in sales/marketing is highly desirable
- Fluent in Spanish preferred
This position is a salary-exempt role at NNU. The starting pay for the position is $33,000 to $35,500 per year. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, annual leave, sick leave, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- Application form
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Re-Posted Aug 22, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).