Employment Opportunity: Assistant Cross Country Coach and Indoor/Outdoor Track & Field Distance Coach
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU) Athletic Department competes at the NCAA Division II level. NNU is a member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) which is comprised of the following eleven members: University of Alaska-Anchorage, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, Central Washington University, Concordia University - Portland, Montana State University-Billings, Northwest Nazarene University, Saint Martin's University, Seattle Pacific University, Simon Fraser University, Western Oregon University, and Western Washington University. NNU offers the following eight sports for women: volleyball, cross-country, soccer, indoor track & field, basketball, softball, golf, and outdoor track & field. NNU offers the following seven sports for men: cross-country, golf, basketball, indoor track & field, baseball, soccer and outdoor track & field.
Description of Position
Northwest Nazarene University is accepting applications for the full-time position of Assistant Cross Country Coach and Indoor/Outdoor Track Distance Coach. The individual will be responsible for assisting the Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach in all details of the cross country program and the distance events for the indoor and outdoor track and field seasons. This includes, but is not limited to: development and implementation of training plans, individual athlete development, recruiting, race preparation, competition scheduling, budget management, academic and eligibility oversight, NCAA documentation, alumni and public relations, fund-raising, travel and camps planning, and other duties assigned by the Head Coach. The assistant coach is expected to assist the head coach in promoting and developing spiritual formation and leadership, academic excellence, competitive spirit and athletic competitiveness, and community engagement. This position reports to the Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach. The position is a full-time, eleven-month (.92 FTE), exempt position.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Cross country and distance coaching experience
- Sufficient skills, knowledge and training to perform the essential functions of this position
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU. Candidates are asked to respond to the information items listed on the NNU Christian Mission requirements link below
- High motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines, work without direct supervision, be able to multi-task, problem-solve, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to pass the annual NCAA Division II recruiting exam
- Ability to obtain and maintain current First Aid and CPR card
- Ability to obtain NNU driving certification
- Offer of employment is contingent on successful results from a background investigation
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s degree
- Collegiate level cross country and distance coaching experience
- Coaching Education Certificate for Track and Field/Distance
- Proficiency in Front Rush or other recruiting software
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant and will be discussed with individual candidates as they are invited to interview for this position. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, health savings account, tuition benefits, opportunities for professional development and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission requirement
- Two letters of recommendation from professional references
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process; official may be required upon hire)
Please do not contact athletic department staff directly; they will not respond to email inquiries or voice messages.
Send or e-mail complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Blvd.
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted May 24, 2018
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).