Employment Opportunity: Assistant Men's Varsity Soccer Coach/Head Men's University Soccer Club Coach
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
NNU Athletics competes at the NCAA Division II level. NNU is a member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) which is comprised of the following eleven members: University of Alaska-Anchorage, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, Central Washington University, Concordia University-Portland, Montana State University-Billings, Northwest Nazarene University, Saint Martin's University, Seattle Pacific University, Simon Fraser University, Western Oregon University, and Western Washington University. NNU offers the following eight sports for women: cross-country, soccer, volleyball, basketball, indoor track & field, golf, outdoor track & field, and softball. NNU offers the following seven sports for men: cross-country, soccer, basketball, indoor track & field, baseball, golf, and outdoor track & field.
Description of Position
Northwest Nazarene University is accepting applications for the full-time position of Assistant Men’s Varsity Soccer Coach who will also serve as the Head Men’s Club Soccer Coach. This is an exempt, full-time, 12-month (1.0 FTE) position. This position reports to the Head Varsity Men’s Soccer Coach in the Athletic Department, and the Director of Club Sports and Recreation in the Office of Student Life.
The Assistant Men’s Varsity Soccer Coach/Head Men’s Club Soccer Coach is expected to assist the Head Men’s Varsity Coach and the Director of Club Sports and Recreation in promoting and developing spiritual formation and leadership, academic excellence, competitive spirit, athletic competitiveness, and community engagement. The position involves working some nights, weekends, and holidays.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff administration, and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Assist the Head Men’s Varsity Soccer Coach in all areas of operating an NCAA Div. II soccer program, including, but not limited to: coaching, recruiting, scheduling, budget management, individual player development, academic and athletic eligibility oversight, NCAA documentation, scouting, game film analysis, alumni and public relations, fundraising, individual and team travel planning, equipment management, camps, social media account management, and other duties as assigned.
Administration and operation of a men’s club soccer team, including, but not limited to:
- Recruitment of 4-5 new players per year
- Maintain a roster of 15-18 players
- Organize and play a schedule of 10-14 games per year
- Practice and game organization and management
- Coaching at games and practices
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Varsity Men’s Soccer Coach and the Director of Club Sports and Recreation
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least two years college coaching experience
- Sufficient skills, knowledge and training to perform the essential functions of this position
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU. Candidates are asked to respond to the information items listed on the NNU Christian Mission requirements link below.
- High motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines, work without direct supervision, be able to multi-task, problem-solve, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances
- Ability to work closely with diverse internal and external constituencies to build relationships and promote the Men’s Varsity and Club Soccer Programs, the Department of Athletics, and the University
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to annually complete the NCAA Coaches Certification courses
- Ability to obtain and maintain current First Aid, CPR, and AED certification
- Ability to obtain NNU driving certification
- Offer of employment is contingent on successful results from a background investigation
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Collegiate playing experience
- Experience with coaching and technical training of goalkeepers
- Demonstrated experience with video editing for developing scouting reports and video training aids, i.e., Hudl, Sports Code, InStat, etc.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and interpreting tactical and statistical data of opposing teams to provide direction in establishing game day strategies.
- Demonstrated experience directing (including promotions, marketing, and curriculum development) of successful youth, residential, and college ID camps
- Coaching license
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant and will be discussed with individual candidates as they are invited to interview for this position. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, health savings account, tuition benefits, opportunities for professional development and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Two letters of recommendation from professional references
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process; official may be required upon hire)
Please do not contact athletic department staff directly; they will not respond to email inquiries or voice messages.
Send, fax or e-mail a complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Blvd.
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted May 15, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).