Employment Opportunity: Assistant or Associate Professor of Computer Science
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
The NNU Department of Math and Computer Science offers the Bachelor of Science in CS and a Bachelor of Arts in CS, Computer Graphic Arts and Computer Information Systems as well as a CS minor and 2nd Teaching Field in CS Education. NNU has built a high-quality Computer Science program over the past 30 years, with strong support from both the university and regional high-tech companies. NNU Computer Science has about 50 majors and two faculty members. The department is housed in the Thomas Center, with excellent teaching and research labs, classrooms, and faculty offices. Plans are underway to expand the program with an additional Computer Science faculty member, enabling the department to expand course offerings in both Cybersecurity and Data Science/Artificial Intelligence. The small student to faculty ratio and traditional, residential campus provides for close faculty/student interactions and enhanced learning. NNU CS has vibrant inter-disciplinary research programs underway with programs in Bioinformatics, Ecology, and Archaeology.
Description of Position
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor in Computer Science beginning fall of 2019, contingent on funding. The position includes:
- Teaching a variety of undergraduate courses from throughout the computer science curriculum. Ability to teach courses in either Cybersecurity or Data Science/AI is desired.
- Advising undergraduate students
- Mentoring student senior capstone projects
- Including undergraduate students in research projects
- Establishment and maintenance of an active program of research/scholarship
- Participation in university faculty governance
- Active participation in the life of the department and university
- Applicants will have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or closely related field. Applicants who are ABD in a Ph.D. program will be considered as will candidates with an MS in Computer Science or a related field who also have significant associated experience
- Experience teaching undergraduates and a commitment to teaching in a Christian liberal arts university
- Preference for applicants with 2 or more years of professional experience in software development, project management, cybersecurity, data science/AI, or other CS/IT field
- An active research agenda and normal institutional service are desired and necessary for promotion and tenure
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate in the English Language
The University requires that all candidates identify as Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU and willing to help advance the spiritual goals of the University.
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant and will be discussed with individual candidates as they are invited to interview for this position. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest (please address teaching and research interests, as well as a secondary area of interest, if applicable)
- Application form
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from a current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Jan 29, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).