Employment Opportunity: Assistant or Associate Professor of Mathematics
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Northwest Nazarene University has a long-standing tradition of graduating secondary mathematics teachers, developing students for graduate school in mathematics, and preparing students for positions in industry. It offers a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics Education. The department is housed in the Thomas Health and Science Center, with excellent teaching and research labs, classrooms, and faculty offices. The Mathematics and Computer Science Department services several academic sectors such as Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Nursing as well as having a role in the General Education program of the University. The small student to faculty ratio and the traditional, residential campus provides for close faculty/student interactions and enhanced learning. NNU Mathematics is involved in interdisciplinary research with Computer Science, Agricultural Engineering, and Chemistry.
Description of Position
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science of Northwest Nazarene University is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor in Mathematics beginning fall of 2019, contingent on funding. The position includes:
- teaching a variety of undergraduate courses from throughout the mathematics curriculum, both upper- and lower-division
- advising undergraduate students
- establishing and maintaining an active program of research/scholarship
- participating in the life of the department and university
- highly valuable but preferred is to have experience in secondary education
- Preferred applicants will have a Ph.D. in Mathematics or an Ed. D. and significant mathematics education. Applicants with ABD in a Ph.D./Ed. D. program will be considered, as will those with a masters degree in Mathematics or a related field and significant experience.
- Experience teaching undergraduates and a commitment to teaching in a Christian liberal arts university
- Identification as a Christian (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU, and willingness to help advance the spiritual goals of the University
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant and will be discussed with individual candidates as they are invited to interview for this position. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received. This would include:
- Letter of interest (please address teaching and research interests, as well as a secondary area of interest, if applicable)
- Application form
- Curriculum vita
- NNU Christian Mission requirements
- Three personal statements describing:
- your philosophy of teaching
- your philosophy of Christian higher education
- your personal faith journey
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Feb 12, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).