Employment Opportunity: Campus Safety Officer
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Description of Position
Description of Position
The Office of Campus Safety is seeking applicants for a full-time (12-month) non-exempt position, as a Campus Safety Officer. The Campus Safety Officer for Northwest Nazarene University is part of the Department for Student Life and reports to the Director and the Assistant Director of Campus Safety.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The duties and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Oversee student and employee transport activities
- Maintain daily and yearly security reports
- Emergency response and Emergency Management Responsibilities
- Respond to building alarm calls dispatched by the University alarm service
- Participate and assist in campus and community safety, crime prevention, and loss prevention education
- Responsible for campus vehicle traffic enforcement such as inputting of vehicle registration information, distribution of parking permits, maintaining traffic citation data base, the installation of traffic signs, and distribution of traffic cones, barricades, and barrier tape.
- Provide access to various campus buildings
- Protect the property and the rights of all members of the University, to be free from criminal attack, to be secure in their human and civil rights and possessions, and to provide a safe and secure environment to study, work, and live
- Will assist with the distribution of campus identification cards, general key card access activation, and troubleshooting of key card problems
- "On-call" as needed
- Perform additional tasks as deemed necessary by the Director and Assistant Director of Campus Safety, or University Administration
- Sufficient skills, knowledge and training to perform the essential functions of this position
- All candidates must have a Christian perspective (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), be in agreement with the doctrine of the Nazarene church, agree to live within the mission and lifestyle values of NNU, and be willing to help advance the spiritual goals of the University
- High motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines, work with minimal supervision, tolerate ambiguity, be able to multi-task, be friendly and courteous at all times, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances
- Leads by example and maintains the highest ethical standards within the department and within the university
- Experience in military, corrections, law enforcement, or security services
- CPR and Basic First Aid
- Ability to work well within a team and promote cooperation
- Must be comfortable meeting, interacting with, and helping people
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to make oral presentations
- Must possess strong computer skills in Microsoft Office products and the ability to learn new computer software
- Ability to maintain confidential information and files
- Ability to work any shift including nights, weekends, holidays, and to work extended shifts up to 12 hours per shift
- Ability to work while standing and /or walking for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs without assistance
- Must possess strong cognitive skills
- Excellent conceptual and critical thinking skills
- Strong motivational and organizational skills
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Previous supervisory experience helpful
- Bi-lingual in Spanish
- General knowledge of Workplace Safety and Hazardous Materials Communications
- General knowledge of card access systems and video surveillance systems
- Basic Understanding of the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant, within a range of $13.00 - $14.00 per hour. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, HSA, annual leave, sick leave, tuition benefits, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission requirement
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Two reference letters from professional associates
Send, fax or email a complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Nov 27, 2018
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).