Employment Opportunity: Controller
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Description of Position
The Controller is responsible for management and implementation of fiscal policies and procedures, accounting operations, cost accounting, financial reporting, audits, and internal fiscal controls of the university. The Controller participates in preparing department budgets and oversees procurement, accounts payable, accounts receivable, student accounts, grant administration, travel, the mail room and campus store.
The Controller reports directly to the CFO/Vice President of Finance & Operations. This position is classified as exempt.
- Supervise a team of staff overseeing the functions of budget management, reporting, AP, Student Accounts, student loans, cashier, campus store, mail room, and grant administration.
- In coordination with the VPFO, develop, plan and lead the accounting, reporting, and reconciliation accounts, unrestricted and restricted funding, grants, contracts, fixed assets, capital projects, endowments, student loans, accounts payable, student receivables, annuities and trusts
- Manage the required federal and state fiscal reporting including all required tax returns
- Prepare schedules and financial statements for external audit
- Responsible for the audit coordination, including interface with external auditors and other constituents
- Provide oversight for proper accounting of NNU’s assets and liabilities
- Analyze cash flow, prepare recommendations for short term working capital investments or needs provision
- Develop, maintain and enforce internal controls with respect to treasury, revenue, expenditure, payables, property, and inventory
- Assist in the on-going development of policies and procedures supporting best practices on campus
- Manage the flow of financial reporting from the Business Office to departments as needed, integrate information in the ERP/accounting software
- Assist with forecasting and analysis of departmental and campus wide initiatives
- Prepare and monitor ongoing performance measures and prepare management reports as appropriate
- Facilitate budget information for campus wide annual budget, as well as projects and initiatives
- Maintain understanding of federal and state laws and regulations relevant to the fiscal operations of the University
- Maintain relations with banks, bond trustees, external auditors, investment managers, governmental organizations, and professional associations
- Assist the VPFO with special accounting and finance projects
- Participate in official and ad hoc committee assignments as directed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related with at least five years of progressively responsible experience in accounting and financial management
- CPA or CMA highly preferred, Master’s degree in Business or related preferred
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in a leadership role, effectively managing a diverse team
- Thorough knowledge of financial analysis and accounting principles
- Knowledge of principles of cash management and investment funds
- Ability to understand and solve complex problems, communicate well, mediate, negotiate and assist a diverse group of constituents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced analytic skills, effective strategic planning and implementation skills
- Strong self-awareness and personal leadership philosophy that aligns to the mission and values of NNU
- Thorough knowledge of computer databases, Excel and Work - with extensive experience in automated accounting and financial systems
- Experience with capitalization and depreciation of capital assets and capital project management
- Candidates must be of Christian faith (preferably with a Wesleyan Theological persuasion), and be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU
- Experience in non-profit or higher education setting strongly preferred
- Experience with the Jenzabar CX database and Cognos report writing preferred but not required
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, annual and sick leave, paid holidays, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Two current letters of recommendation from professional associates
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Office of Human Resources
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Blvd.
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Nov 08, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).