Employment Opportunity: Doctoral Program - Faculty Member in Education with Emphasis in Research
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
The Department of Education at Northwest Nazarene University offers both bachelor's and graduate degrees for the preparation of educators. Graduate programs include the accredited program leading to a PhD or EdD in Educational Leadership and numerous programs leading to masters' degrees. All NNU education programs maintain voluntary national accreditation through The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). These preparation programs for teachers and administrators are approved by the State of Idaho. Graduate and undergraduate education programs have strong working relationships with school districts in the region, statewide educational organizations and the Idaho State Department of Education, which is located in Boise. We are a group of faculty committed to maintaining and expanding the diversity of our student body and faculty. We believe in the importance of community within a Christian context and strive to develop a supportive environment for the personal, professional and educational growth of students and faculty. We continually endeavor to preserve and enhance our strong reputation for quality programs in the education field.
Description of Position
NNU’s Department of Education is seeking to fill a full-time, tenure track position (rank dependent upon experience) in Graduate Education beginning fall of 2019, contingent on funding, with major responsibilities in teaching and supporting doctoral level research.
- Supervising between 6 – 8 dissertations and capstone projects
- Teaching online doctoral-level courses (PhD and EdD) and Education Specialist (EdS) courses in the program
- Advising doctoral students
- Serving on doctoral committees
- Engaging in research and scholarly endeavors, including grant writing
- Seeking external funding sources
- Developing new online courses as required
- Collaborating with colleagues in local schools, agencies, and the university
- Providing meaningful service to the community and to the profession
- Serving on university committees
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Earned doctorate in the area of educational leadership or related fields
- The university requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan traditions). Faculty must be comfortable with the mission and agree to live within the lifestyle values of NNU
- Strong interest in mentoring students throughout the dissertation process
- Successful teaching experience
- Ability to work in a team
- Established research agenda
- Expertise in research, including quantitative research or statistical application
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in educational leadership
- Experience developing and teaching courses in an online environment
- K-12 teaching experience or experience teaching in higher education
- Expertise in K-12 or higher education administration
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time faculty will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, sabbatical experiences, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- Application form
- Curriculum vita
- Digital copy of dissertation or recently published work
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission. These will include:
- Statement describing your Christian journey
- Statement describing your philosophy of Christian higher education
- Statement describing your philosophy of teaching and research
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Mar 14, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).