Employment Opportunity: Faculty Member in Education - Director of Student Teaching - Fall 2018
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
The Department of Education serves both graduate and undergraduate students in a variety of delivery models. Undergraduate programs offer bachelor’s degrees in elementary and secondary education, and multiple areas of subject endorsements. Graduate programs include MEd degrees in Curriculum, Instruction, and Innovation, Exceptional Child, and Educational Leadership; EdS degrees in Educational Leadership, Exceptional Child and the Superintendency; and a PhD and EdD in Educational Leadership. All NNU education programs maintain voluntary national accreditation through the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and are eligible to apply for accreditation from the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). All educator preparation programs for teachers and administrators are also fully approved by the State of Idaho. Graduate and undergraduate education programs have strong working relationships with school districts in the region, statewide educational organizations and the Idaho State Department of Education, which is located in Boise. We are a group of faculty committed to maintaining and expanding the diversity of our student body and faculty. We believe in the importance of community within a Christian context and strive to develop a supportive environment for the personal, professional and educational growth of students and faculty. We are leading innovation in the state in our teacher preparation programs through the integration of technology and the quality implementation of clinical experiences for our candidates. We continually endeavor to preserve and enhance our strong reputation for quality programs in the education field. The secondary education program was ranked at the 94th percentile in the nation by the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ).
Description of Position
NNU’s Department of Education is seeking to fill a full-time (10-month) tenure-track position (rank dependent upon experience) in Education.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Teaching education classes in the undergraduate and adult accelerated education programs
- Advising undergraduate candidates
- Supervising candidates in the field
- Coordinating with schools and districts to secure student teaching placements
- Reviewing, updating and coordinating curriculum with education faculty
- Serving on doctoral committees as appropriate
- Engaging in research and scholarly endeavors, including participation in grant activities
- Maintaining and developing quality relationships with partner schools and districts
- Developing new courses and realigning existing courses, as required
- Collaborating with colleagues in local schools, agencies, and the university
- Providing meaningful service to the community and to the profession
- Strong expertise in pedagogy and supervision
- Successful public school teaching at the elementary or secondary level
- Experience or knowledge in the Danielson Framework for Teaching evaluation model
- Ability to work with a team
- The University requires that all candidates have a Christian perspective (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU
- Proven computer competency and aptitude for learning new software
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate in the English language
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Earned doctorate in the area of education
- Public school expertise in at least one of the following areas: Special Education, English Language Arts/Literacy, STEM, or Social Studies
- Experience as a P-12 administrator/leader
- Experience supervising teachers, or student teachers
- Established research agenda
- Experience developing and teaching courses in both face-to-face and online environments
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time faculty will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, health savings account, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, sabbatical experiences, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- Application form
- Curriculum vita
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Statement describing your faith journey
- Statement describing your understanding of the relationship between faith and learning
- Statement describing your philosophy of teaching
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted May 15, 2018
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).