Employment Opportunity: Faculty Member in Engineering - Non-tenure track
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
The Department of Engineering and Physics offers a Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE) degree with concentrations in agricultural, computer, electrical, mechanical, engineering physics, and civil (to come). NNU built a high quality engineering physics program for 50 years prior to initiating the ABET-accredited BSE in 2010. This program has strong support from both the university and regional high-tech engineering companies. NNU Engineering has about 100 students and six faculty and is housed primarily in Thomas Center, with excellent labs, offices, and classrooms. Plans are underway to expand into new facilities within the next few years. The small student to faculty ratio on our traditional, residential campus provides for close faculty/student interactions and enhanced learning. NNU Engineering has nationally competitive research programs in agricultural automation, aerospace, and RF electronics/semiconductors.
Description of Position
NNU’s Department of Engineering & Physics is seeking applicants for a full-time, non-tenure track position (rank dependent upon experience) in mechanical engineering. A background in thermal and fluid engineering sciences is desirable. The position is on a year-by-year contract and includes teaching and mentoring students on design projects.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Engineering or a relevant field is required
- Previous teaching, research and industrial experience in engineering are desirable
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching
- A commitment to working with a diverse population of students
- Candidates should be licensed as a PE, or be willing to work towards licensure in Idaho
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with students and fellow faculty
- Ability to work with a team
- The University requires that all candidates have a Christian perspective (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU
- Proven computer competency and aptitude for learning new software
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate in the English language
For more information, contact Dr. Stephen Parke, Department Chair, at (208) 467-8881 or email@example.com
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time faculty will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, health savings account, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, sabbatical experiences, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- Application form
- Curriculum vita
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Statement describing your faith journey
- Statement describing your understanding of the relationship between faith and learning
- Statement describing your philosophy of teaching
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted May 18, 2018
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).