Employment Opportunity: Faculty Member in Kinesiology
The Kinesiology program at Northwest Nazarene University offers a BA in Recreation and Sport management with concentration areas in: athletic training, kinesiology coaching, sport management and outdoor recreation. The department faculty is dedicated to student centered teaching, innovative delivery and teaching methods and a successful candidate will be expected to display expertise in several areas related to our course offerings.
Description of Position
Candidates are sought to teach a full-time (9 month, non-tenure track) position in exercise science instruction and advising. Requires teaching undergraduate on-campus courses and web based courses in Exercise Science (biomechanics, exercise physiology motor learning and development, and test and measurement courses), general education courses in wellness and heart healthy activities, and coaching or athletic training. Position also requires advising undergraduate recreation and sport management majors. The department seeks an individual who is enthusiastic and passionate about the field, has demonstrated excellence in teaching, and who will be committed to the values and mission of the university and department. Other required responsibilities include advising undergraduate Kinesiology majors, developing and supervising internships, scholarly activity, service (college, university and community), and recruiting new students. Opportunities to engage in student/faculty research also exist.
While this is a 1-year non-tenure track position, the University anticipates hiring a tenure-track position in this department next year. Accepting this temporary appointment would not disqualify a potential application for this potential tenure-track position.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Applicant must be competent to teach courses in fitness related activity courses, introductory theory courses, and exercise science laboratories. A minimum of a M.S. or M.Ed. degree in Exercise Science or a related discipline is required. Candidate should demonstrate teaching experience relevant to Exercise Science (e.g., Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise Testing and Prescription, Nutrition, Strength and Conditioning, etc.) at the college level. Final selection will be based on excellence in scholastic achievement, a review of the candidate's curriculum vitae and a successful interview.
- The University requires that all candidates have a Christian perspective (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with and in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU
- Proven computer competency and aptitude for learning new software
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate in the English language
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Doctorate in Exercise Science, or related field, graduate teaching experience, teaching experience via Canvas online delivery systems, and experience in advising students. Demonstrated scholarly achievements with a record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and demonstrated experience with competitive funded research projects.
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time faculty will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, health savings account, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, sabbatical experiences, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- Application form
- Curriculum vita
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Statement describing your faith journey
- Statement describing your understanding of the relationship between faith and learning
- Statement describing your philosophy of teaching
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted May 02, 2018
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).