Employment Opportunity: Office Assistant II - Honors College & Department of History & Political Science
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Description of Position
The Honors College and the Department of History and Political Science are seeking applications for the Office Assistant II. This position is an hourly, part-time, nine-month position (approximately 20 hours per week) August 1 – May 15. This office assistant works directly with and primarily to support the Honors College director, the department chair and the faculty of the Department of History and Political Science. This position reports to both the Honors College director and the Department of History and Political Science chair.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Assist with tasks related to the Honors College and the Department including, but not limited to:
- General clerical tasks
- Maintain spreadsheets of faculty load
- Use templates to create adjunct and overload contracts
- Greeting visitors to office suite and directing them appropriately
- Budget tracking
- Assist with recruitment
- Other duties as assigned
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with, in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU
- Support the Mission, Vision and Values of NNU
- Strong writing and grammar skills, and the ability to develop correspondence with minimal instruction
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively and positively with students, faculty, and persons from the community;
- Competence in basic software (Word, Excel, Web management system) and equipment operations, with aptitude for learning new systems
- High motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines, work with minimal supervision, tolerate ambiguity, be able to multi-task, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances
- Ability to maintain confidential information and files
- Strong organizational skills, accuracy, and orientation to detail
- Must be dependable, punctual
- Ability to continually learn new skills and utilize new approaches and tools to create better program presentations
- Professional attire – dress standard is business casual
- Ability to perform all Essential Functions of this position
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate in the English language
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to view a computer screen for extended periods of time
- This position requires no significant lifting, carrying, or pushing beyond normal office/clerical activity
This position is a non-exempt (hourly), part-time (approximately 20 hours per week during the academic year), 9-month, position. This position is not eligible for benefits. Salary is dependent upon experience and will be within the range of $13.25 to $14.50 per hour.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission requirement
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
Send, fax or email a complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID, 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Jan 16, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).