Employment Opportunity: Senior Network Administrator
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Description of Position
The Senior Network Administrator is responsible for the overall availability and performance of the network. The administrator works closely with the IT Security Manager, System and Network Administrators to accomplish infrastructure tasks and initiatives. The administrator designs infrastructure changes and creates strategies for new projects. The administrator supervises, monitors, configures and implements the maintenance of servers and operating systems on both physical and virtual platforms; recommends and applies server upgrades, patches, security settings; is knowledgeable about a wide range of server systems and security policies; assists in the monitoring and auditing of server systems for conformance to established security policies. The administrator is a resource person for fellow IT support personnel; is present for IT Leadership meetings and strategy sessions; works closely with the Director of Information Technology to accomplish campus-wide IT goals.
The Administrator will serve as an all-around network operations expert to ensure there are no single points of failure in network operations coverage. He/she will accomplish this by cross-training other IT personnel on operations and configuration information on a wide variety of network systems, including the storage area networks, the network switching and routing infrastructure, and the workstation patch management systems, among many others. This person will maintain the orderly, detailed and up-to-date documentation of this information.
The Senior Network Administrator reports directly to the Director of Information Technology. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Drive the planning, design, implementation, organization and operation of the organization's network systems.
- Develop goals and oversee the responsibilities of Network Operations department
- Assist with operational objectives and workflow for the Network Team
- Assist in developing, evaluating, and mentoring team personnel to ensure efficient operations
- Establishing network operating policies under the guidance of the Director of Information Technology
- Assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements
- Maintain and monitor availability and performance of the network
- Work with IT Security Manager to ensure security best practices are implemented and revised, as needed, to maintain the availability, integrity and confidentiality of the information stored on and accessed through the network (e.g. firewalls, ACLs, file rights, backup systems, account management, vulnerability testing, etc.)
- Continually improve security and simplification of network resources with intent to increase network redundancy and capacity
- Evaluate new technologies fulfilling the goals and needs of the network and University
- Responsible for approving the design and purchasing the University's network infrastructure hardware and virtual server environment
- Responsible for ensuring all systems are up-to-date with the latest patches and updates
- Responsible for and testing NNU’s disaster recovery plan including virtual backup appliances and data center recovery
- Responsible for the administration of NNU’s gmail domain (nnu.edu)
- Responsible for the administration of NNU’s Single Sign On system
- Responsible for the administration of cloud hosted system integration
- Supports the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and the Administrative Computing team
- Responsible for preparing and keeping current clear and concise documentation on all managed systems, infrastructure, and disaster recovery plans
- Ensuring that the Network Team communicates with and trains the other members of the IT department regarding network wide systems and procedures that impact the other areas in IT
- Responsible for coordinating with Safety Office regarding building security and security cameras
- Responsible for supervising the various network monitoring, logging, and alerting systems including: Security Event and Information Management (SIEM) system, syslog, and Network Monitoring Systems (NMS)
- Responsible for ensuring software licensing compliance for all network operating system software
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with, in agreement with, and able to represent the mission and lifestyle values of NNU to all constituencies
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated attention to maintaining the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information systems.
- Must be able to clearly communicate technical information effectively both verbally and in writing to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Project management experience (new construction, coordinating subcontractors, obtaining bids)
- Experience installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting Windows Servers and Linux Servers (e.g SLES, OpenSuSE)
- Experience with virtual backup technologies
- Experience with Active Directory and Group Policy
- Experience writing scripts in various languages (e.g. Powershell, vbs, bash, php, perl)
- High level of working knowledge, understanding, and troubleshooting all layers of the network stack (OSI Model)
- Must be able to understand the scope of their work and role within IT, thereby prioritizing projects and help requests accordingly, as well as seeking best-practices and long-term solutions over temporary patches
- Must be able to remain calm and work competently in a dynamic and occasionally high pressure environment
- Must be willing to work occasional evenings, weekends and holidays, and to share in the on-call responsibilities as required to support a 24x7 network environment
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to foster these skills in others
- Ability to perform all essential functions of this position
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to use and view a computer screen for extended periods
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Industry-recognized certifications in VMWare, Windows, Linux, and Cisco (e.g. VCP, MCSE, CCNA, etc.)
- Industry-recognized information security certifications (e.g. CISSP, CISM, Security+, etc.)
- Previous experience with routers and switches, firewalls, packet shaping devices, load balancers (F5), and VPN technologies
- Previous experience managing F5 LTM and APM
- Previous experience Single Sign On systems (SAML)
- Previous experience with NFS or iSCSI SAN technologies
- Previous experience managing a large campus communications cabling system
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant and will be discussed with individual candidates as they are invited to interview for this position. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Two current letters of recommendation from professional associates
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email a complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of application will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Jun 07, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).