Employment Opportunity: Staff Accountant
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Description of Position
The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Controller and works collaboratively and strategically with the accounting services team, the student accounts team, and all campus personnel. The purpose of this position is to own the accounts payable (excluding payroll) business of the university, perform important accounting functions of the accounting services team, and engage in accounting projects throughout the fiscal year. This is a year-round, full-time (1.0 FTE), non-exempt position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage the accounts payable process from vendor set up to paying vendors through check, direct deposit and credit card payments, ensuring timely and accurate payments and complete and accurate records of payments made to vendors.
- Act as the program administrator of the university purchasing card system. Provide support to campus cardholders as needed.
- Act as the program administrator of supplies purchasing programs through Amazon Business and Complete Office. Provide support to campus personnel as needed.
- Periodically evaluate the external business relationships and internal effectiveness of the purchasing card program and supplies purchasing programs, identifying alternatives as needed.
- Train campus personnel on purchasing transactions (system purchase orders, purchasing card use, and supplies purchasing) as needed.
- Summarize, prepare, and submit Form 1099 miscellaneous annually.
- File monthly Sales/Use Tax and Travel & Convention Tax returns and remit payments to the State of Idaho.
- Perform general ledger account analysis and reconciliations for liability and expense accounts.
- Prepare, support and defend fiscal audit schedules for liability and expense accounts.
- Perform quarterly review of fixed asset purchases and year-end capitalization entries and depreciation schedules.
- Take on accounting projects resulting from new accounting standards, changes in federal/state regulations/deadlines, strategic initiatives of the university, and priorities of the Controller.
- Other duties as assigned by the Controller
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
- Minimum of two years of experience in accounting/bookkeeping/accounts payable related work
- Experience with PC software; especially Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to learn and become proficient with Jenzabar integrated database related to job responsibilities.
- Proven teamwork, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- High motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines, work with minimal supervision, be able to multi-task, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong organizational and interpersonal skills; high engagement and self-motivation.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully create and nurture productive working partnerships internally and externally.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to take ownership of and responsibility for all aspects of the position.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to view a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan traditions), and must be comfortable with, in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or another business related field with thorough accounting knowledge.
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant and will be discussed with individual candidates as they are invited to interview for this position. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received, including all of the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process; official may be required upon hire)
Send, fax or email completed application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Jun 17, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).