Employment Opportunity: Systems Administrator - Network Operations
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 90-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers 26 online degree programs as well as courses at a regional campus in Idaho Falls. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 11,000 continuing education and concurrent credit students. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the West and a “Best Value” for delivering a high quality education at a remarkably affordable price. The university’s location in the Boise valley provides a wealth of regional opportunities: easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting; and a wide array of cultural opportunities from the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra to the National Oldtime Fiddlers Festival. NNU has a long and deep association with the Church of the Nazarene, and all University faculty commit themselves to living out their faith in a community shaped by serious scholarship and vital Christian piety.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
Description of Position
The Systems Administrator - Network Operations shares responsibility for all aspects of NNU's computer networking Systems. This role shares in the network systems engineering, implementation, administration and operations processes. The Systems Administrator will ensure the best use of the network resources by defining and planning the network system goals, and determining the need for new products and systems based on budget, organizational needs, and improvements in technology. This position works closely with several functional areas in the organization to ensure that the network is meeting the needs of the University. The over-arching goal is to ensure the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of the network and information. The Systems Administrator reports to the IT Operations Manager. This is a full time, non-exempt position.
In addition to the above responsibilities, this position is specifically responsible for network systems administration with regard to the network infrastructure as well as wireless network maintenance, switching and routing functions, daily systems and data backup and recovery processes and computer management using SCCM. Secondarily the Systems Administrator will help manage storage area network systems and Active Directory functions.
The Systems Administrator shall be familiar with a wide variety of networking concepts, practices and procedures, and relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. This position performs a wide variety of network-related tasks requiring a high level of technical expertise, consults with various internal and external customers on complex projects.
Essential FunctionsReasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Overall performance and availability of the network, performance and capacity
- Establishing network operating policies under the guidance of the Sr. Network Administrator and the IT Operations Manager.
- Ensuring network security
- Planning, design, implementation, organization and operation of the organization's network systems
- Identify strategic data and voice communications direction for the organization with redundancy and cost control/reduction always a priority
- Proactively identify areas for improvement in the communications environment
- Define, prioritize and direct the tasks related to project implementation
- Assure adherence to budgets, Schedules, work plans, and performance requirements
- Monitor and evaluate new technologies to determine usefulness and compatibility with existing environment
- Follow and implement administrative policies, procedures and methods related to the operation of the network
- Keep departmental management informed of project status and issues as required
- Prepare and keep current documentation on all managed systems, including disaster recovery plans
- Installation, configuration, maintenance, and performance trouble-shooting of sever operating systems on all servers, both physical and virtual and the network Directory services, Novell SUSE Enterprise Server, various flavors of Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Active Directory, and others
- Installation, configuration, monitoring, maintenance, and performance troubleshooting the University's disk-to-disk. This includes ensuring adequate and reliable backups of all critical systems and data
- Configuration and monitoring of all database systems, including Microsoft and Oracle SOL servers
- Installation, configuration, maintenance, testing, and monitoring of various network monitoring and alerting systems
- Responsible for preparing and keeping current clear and concise documentation on all managed systems.
- Includes project completion documentation as well as configuration changes
- Responsible for ensuring software licensing compliance for all network operating System Software
- Minimum 5 years of recent experience as a network administrator, information systems director, or similar field.
- Experience in the strategic planning and tactical implementation of a wide variety of networking systems, both hardware and software, and for the development of disaster preparedness plans
- Must be able to remain calm and work competently under periods of stress and external pressures
- Experience as a network/systems administrator including experience performing "bare metal" installations and recoveries of Windows and Linux server operating systems
- Previous experience with Active Directory o Knowledge of management and troubleshooting experience with the VMware Virtual infrastructure
- Working knowledge of the UDP and TCP/IP protocols, routing protocols, LDAP & RADIUS, and DHCP and DNS protocols
- Working knowledge with SAN (storage area network) and backup technologies
- Must be detail-oriented and able to follow through on trouble-shooting processes to full resolution and seek long-term solutions over temporary patches
- Demonstrated attention to maintaining the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information systems
- Must be able to prioritize projects and help requests, and then manage them from start to finish
- Must be able to shift quickly from one task to another
- Must be able to clearly communicate technical information effectively both verbally and in writing to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong work ethic; works well independently with little direct supervision
- Visionary and life-long learner
- Must be willing to work occasional evenings, weekends and holidays, and to share in the daily on-call responsibilities as required to support a 24x7 network
- Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- The University requires that all individuals be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with, in agreement with, and able to represent the mission and lifestyle values of NNU to all constituencies
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in a related field or extensive work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience managing an enterprise e-mail System. Direct experience with Google managed domain
- Minimum of 1 year experience managing a VMware virtual infrastructure environment, including creating and managing virtual machines and ESX hosts
- Industry-recognized certifications in WMWare, Windows and Linux
- Industry-recognized information security certifications (e.g. CISSP, CISM, Security+, etc.)
- Formal training in managing and supporting server and desktop operating systems, enterprise messaging systems and VMware products
- Previous experience with Cisco routers and switches, Cisco firewalls, packet shaping devices, videoconferencing gateways, and VPN technologies
- Willingness and ability to learn essential functions of VolP Communications systems
- Willingness and ability to learn essential functions of managing a large campus communications cabling system
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant within a range of $45,500 to $50,500. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Two current letters of recommendation from professional associates
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Office of Human Resources
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Blvd.
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted Sep 23, 2019
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).