Employment Opportunity: Vice President for Finance and Operations
Description of Position
The Vice President for Finance and Operations (VPFO) provides leadership and oversight of Northwest Nazarene University’s Finance & Operations sector, which includes the Business Office, Human Resources, Information Technology, Financial Aid, Conferences & Events, and University Bookstore, as well as responsibility for the oversight of all of the University’s facilities and equipment. The VPFO reports directly to the President and is a member of the President’s Cabinet. The VPFO will provide leadership, oversight and management of all financial and operational affairs of the University, including working with Finance and Operations directors and staff; working with the Vice President for External Relations to set the University’s discounting policy and plan, and then integrating that plan into the University’s financial plan; overseeing preparation and monitoring of the University’s operational and capital budgets; assuring accurate, understandable, and transparent financial reporting, and clearly communicating the University’s financial position to various constituent groups; overseeing all capital projects and budgets; and, overseeing all operational aspects of the University.
Northwest Nazarene University is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene and seeks to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. All those interested are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated equitably.
The Roles and Relationships
The Vice President for Finance & Operations must:
- Embrace the spiritual heritage of the University and the educational heritage of the Church of the Nazarene.
- Envision Northwest Nazarene University as an outstanding Christian university.
- Administer the financial and operational programs of the University under the direction of the President and in accordance with the university’s mission, vision, values, and adopted policies.
- Assist the President’s Cabinet in evaluating and overseeing appropriate entrepreneurial activities.
- Serve as the Treasurer of Northwest Nazarene University Foundation, Inc. and ex officio member of its Board of Directors, and resource the Foundation Board’s Investment Committee.
The Vice President for Finance and Operations:
- Oversees and communicates all University financial affairs as the University’s chief financial officer, including ultimate responsibility for preparation of the annual operating budget and management of the budget throughout the fiscal year, including planning and executing the University’s discounting philosophy in collaboration with the Vice President for External Relations, planning for and managing the institution’s debt, and managing cash flow.
- Oversees accounting personnel and assures proper control of institutional accounting and collection procedures, policies, reporting and general audit processes.
- Provides support for the Board of Trustees Financial Affairs Committee and Audit Committee.
- Serves as Treasurer of NNU Foundation, Inc., and resource person to Investment Committee. Works with the NNU Foundation, Inc., Investment Committee with regard to management of endowment assets.
- Oversees, manages, and provides guidance for Directors and personnel in the Business Office, Human Resources, Information Technology, Financial Aid, Conferences and Events, and University Bookstore.
- Oversees the University’s capital needs, projects and budgets, and has ultimate responsibility for oversight of all University facilities and equipment.
- Negotiates, works with, and provides guidance to the University’s food service vendor (in conjunction with the Vice President for Student Life), facilities services vendor, and other contract vendors.
- Provides planning input, insight and advocacy for campus-wide major renovation and capital development, supporting the President and the Vice President for External Relations in developing and maintaining the campus master plan.
- Oversees major construction, including responsibility for oversight of funding, contracting, and construction management.
- Provides assessment and approval of all university-related contracts pursuant to University policy and procedure, and consults with the University’s legal counsel, as appropriate.
- Serves as the President’s Cabinet liaison with University staff, and works with the Director of Human Resources with regard to staff development and training.
- Serves as the University’s key risk management officer, negotiates insurance policies, and monitors various risk management and compliance dimensions.
- Provides a global perspective to the President’s Cabinet regarding all institutional operations, new programs, financial viability, etc.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The required professional and personal qualifications and attributes include:
- Sufficient skills, knowledge and training to perform all Essential Functions of this position, and take ownership of the position;
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with, in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU;
- A passion for the role of Christian higher education in the church and society;
- Presently a member of, or willingness to join and actively participate in, the Church of the Nazarene locally and globally;
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Administrative experience;
- Personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness;
- An appreciation for, and model of, servant leadership;
- A willingness to be a student of higher education with an understanding of current trends and movements, best practices, and future trends regarding the financial health of an institution of higher education;
- Vital, energetic, relational, and collegial leader, able to nurture the morale of faculty, students, staff and administrators;
- An ability to accept ambiguity;
- An able communicator, listener and collaborative change agent;
- Willing and able to make difficult decisions in a timely manner;
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
- Ability to coordinate and lead the work of multiple campus offices and personnel to achieve the University's financial and operational goals;
- Experience with PC software, especially Microsoft Office applications, and the ability to learn new software;
- Ability to view a computer screen for extended periods of time;
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with capital asset oversight, including an understanding of deferred maintenance and experience with management of construction projects;
- Preference for master’s and/or doctoral degree in business or finance, and/or for a CPA, however consideration will be given to those with commensurate professional experience.
Salary will be determined by the successful candidate’s educational background, experience, and preparation, and upon comparative peer institution data. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, annual leave, sick leave, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission requirement
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email a complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Review of applications will begin June 10, 2017. The position is available immediately. The university reserves the right to extend the application review date or close early as conditions warrant.
Employment as the VPFO at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent credit report.
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted May 16, 2017
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).